Automation Systems business line


In this section you can find more information on Automation Systems business line, such as key figures and market drivers. Automation Systems business line is part of the Automation-segment. See also the Valmet's Industrial Internet -video and the Automation Systems at a glance -video.

Automation Systems business line supplies and develops automation and information management systems, applications and services. The main products are Distributed Control Systems (DCS), Quality Control Systems (QCS), and analyzers and measurements.

Automation Systems business line's customers are mainly companies in pulp, energy, paper and process industries, as well as the marine and gas industries. The most important geographic market is EMEA, and the second largest area in terms of net sales is North America. Almost half of the Automation Systems business consists of services. 

Approximately 20 percent of Automation Systems business line’s net sales are generated when automation is sold as part of Valmet’s process technology project delivery. The remaining 80 percent of the business line’s net sales are generated from solutions and services sold directly to customers.

Automation Systems business line was formed on April 1, 2015 as a result of the acquisition of Process Automation Systems business from Metso. Automation Systems has been consolidated into Valmet's financials since April 1, 2015. 

Key figures

Auomation 2020.PNG

Automation Systems in 2021

Automation Systems BU split 2021.PNG


Market drivers



Market size1
& Growth2

Market Drivers

Automation Systems EUR 2.1 bn
• Aging machines and installed automation systems
• Investments in new pulp and paper mills and power plants
• Demand for raw material savings, process efficiencies and sustainability
• Demand for Industrial Internet -based solutions

1) Market position and estimated market size calculated from 2021.
2) Long-term end market growth.


Industrial Internet

Valmet's Industrial Internet applications and services are built to improve the reliability and performance of customers' processes. The Industrial Internet enabled reliability services consist of online monitoring, predictive diagnostics and data analysis to improve mill and plant efficiency, to help to plan right-timed maintenance and to prevent unplanned shutdowns. 

Valmet has established eight Performance Centers that are the customer's channel to all Valmet Industrial Internet applications and services. Customers can contact the Performance Centers and get real-time support from Valmet experts and the customer's processes can also be monitored remotely. 

To provide comprehensive Industrial Internet offering to its customers, Valmet is building an Industrial Internet solution ecosystem that brings leading industry players together.  The purpose of the ecosystem is to create new value-adding applications and services to pulp, paper and energy industries. 


Game technology in industry

With the help of augmented reality, process information can be detached from control rooms, and mechanics can take the information they need with them when they work on a machine. Read more about Industrial Internet and how to utilize augmented and virtual reality within industry.
Read more