Successful QCS migration leads to second system ahead of schedule
Faced with replacing an aging quality control system on board machine 3, Ningbo Zhonghua Paper selected Valmet* because of its innovative sensor technology, especially the direct coat weight measurement. The results were so good that within a year they replaced a second quality control system on BM2 ahead of schedule and report being very satisfied with both deliveries.
|Location||Haishu Industrial Zone, Ningbo, Zhejiang Province, China|
|Customer challenge||Original quality control system needed replacing as spare parts were getting difficult to obtain. Additionally the mill needed a more accurate measurement of coat weight.|
|Solution||Valmet IQ quality control system with direct coat weight measurement|
|Results||As well as quality, the Valmet IQ system contributes to better machine control. The results were immediately impressive and after only six months the mill decided on a repeat order for BM2.|
|Keywords||Automation, Board and paper, Improvements, Rebuilds and upgrades, China|
* Metso until April 1, 2015
Valmet IQ Coat Weight Measurement
Benefits to the papermaker
- Accurate, high resolution (1 cm) profiles on the first scan ensure precise MD and CD coat weight controls and excellent quality soon after process upsets, like startup, grade change or breaks.
- For coated board applications, the direct coat weight measurement accuracy is better than traditional oven dry basis weight differential methods.
- On two sided film coating applications both sides can be measured simultaneously, allowing paper makers to adjust coating application for the best sheet properties on each side.
- No additional sensors are needed to measure direct percent moisture.
- The single-sided sensor can be located in tight locations on a one-sided scanner.