Valmet Boiler Diagnostics Systems for minerals and metals
Valmet supplies continuous temperature measurements and image acquisition products for the minerals and metals industry.
Valmet Furnace Imaging System is well-protected and provides unprecedented operational views of the Ladle Furnace, Basic Oxygen Furnace and Electric Arc Furnace. It also allows for an unobstructed view of the entire tapping process – virtually unaffected by dust, steam, arc flash, UV light or fireball. The Fixed Mount Mid-IR camera system is specially designed for a compact footprint and easy installation.
Benefits for Ladle Furnace Operators:
- View alloy addition and wire feeding.
- Assess integrity of electrodes to determine wear, stability and height in operation.
- Determine the extent of gas stirring.
- Watch for floaters that may damage sensor auto-immersion equipment.
- Determine amount of slag/metal mixing.
- Look for dangerous carbon boils and other reactions.
Benefits for Electric Arc Furnace Operators:
- View scrap melt in, help determine scrap melting rates.
- View injected materials, such as carbon and lime, as they react with the melt.
- View electrodes in action to determine wear, stability, and height in operation.
- Look for dangerous scrap cave-in, carbon boils and other reactions.
Benefits for Basic Oxygen Furnace Operators:
- Determine vessel position.
- View scrap and hotmetal charge.
- Observe oxygen lance insertion to help avoid costly crashes.
- View drop in sensor entry into furnace.
- Look for floating scrap, carbon boils and other reactions.
Benefits During the Tapping Process:
- Gain a detailed view of the entire tapping process.
- Watch for dangerous carbon boils and other reactions.
- Determine extent of slag/metal mixing.
- Watch for slag tapping.
- Watch for floaters or unreacted materials.
Customer success stories
When the going gets hot, Valmet Furnace Imaging gets going
GKN Hoeganaes Corporation, the world leader in the production of atomized steel and iron powders, installed a forerunner of the Valmet Furnace Imaging System, Fixed Mount Mid-IR infrared camera in the ladle metallurgy furnace (LMF) at its Hoeganaes plant in Gallatin, Tennessee.